When you first install any WordPress theme, it comes without content from demo sites, so you need to do it on your own. In this article, we will explain how to import demo data from our live site and what plugins are used.
Please note that images are NOT included. All photos are licensed stock images and sharing them is forbidden. Instead, there are placeholder images.
Demo data can be downloaded from here. This is a zip file containing following files/folders:
- candidate-demo.xml (it contains all articles – posts, pages, members, features, testimonials, etc)
- options.json (it contains all theme settings used on our demo site)
- widgets.wie (it contains widget setting used on our site)
- slider – folder containing three sliders from our demo site
When you activated our theme, you’ve received notification about required and recommended plugins.
- Slider Revolution – premium plugin; included in this package
- Albums – free plugin included in this package
- Arconix FAQ plugin
- Features by WooThemes
- Our Team by WooThemes
- Testimonials by WooThemes
- The Events Calendar by Modern Tribe
- Videos – free plugin included in this package
(all free and available from wordpress.org)
- WooCommerce (if you want to create shop on your site)
- WooCommerce Product Image Flipper (if you want to add secondary image which will be revealed on hover)
- Content Aware Sidebars (if you want to create and display sidebars according to the content being viewed)
- WooDojo (free collection of smaller plugins – if you want to add Twitter/Instagram Widget or Maintenance page etc)
- Seamless Donations (if you want to accept donations on your site – free plugin)
- Easy WordPress Donations Plugin (if you want to accept donations on your site – premium plugin – NOT included in package)
- WordPress SEO by Yoast (if you want to improve your WordPress SEO)
Except required plugins, it is not necessary to install any other plugin. Please note that if you don’t have all recommended plugins installed, demo data import will throw an error. But, don’t worry, it will just be alert that importer didn’t move all content from demo file into your site. Everything else will be imported.
NOTE: we strongly advise to install all required and recommended plugins, (as well as WooCommerce if you plan to have shop on your site and Content Aware Sidebars if you want to have extra sidebars like those on our demo site) BEFORE importing demo file. When you install WooCommerce, message “Welcome to WooCommerce – You’re almost ready to start selling 🙂” will be shown on top of your page. Just hit ‘Skip setup‘ because pages are already included in our demo file. We will explain later what to do.
- Login as an administrator.
- Go to Tools > Import in the blog’s admin panels.
- Choose “WordPress” from the list.
- Upload candidate_demo.xml using the form provided on that page.
- You will first be asked to map the authors in this export file to users on the site. For each author, you may choose to map to an existing user on the site or to create a new user
- WordPress will then import each article in demo file into your site
Please note that due to server limitation, this can take a while. If you get error 500, please increase memory limit and server timeout.
- After demo content is imported, go to Appearance > Menus > Manage Locations and set specific menus in appropriate menu location.
- go to Settings > Reading > Front Page Displays and choose one Home Page – Slider Version 2 for your home page.
- go to Settings > Permalinks and make sure to choose and save your permalink structure. Just make sure to choose anything but default one.
If you want to have widget structure like we have on our demo site, before proceeding to next step, make sure to install Widget Importer & Exporter
- go to Tools > Widget Importer & Exporter
- choose file widgets.wie
- hit ‘Import Widgets‘
In demo content, you can find all sliders from our site with some images replaced or with watermark added. Just import them and you are good to go(Revolution Slider > Import Slider).
- go to WooCommerce > Settings > Products and choose page named ‘Shop‘ for your Product Archive / Shop Page
- go to WooCommerce > Settings > Checkout and choose appropriate pages for your Cart and Checkout page
- go to WooCommerce > Settings > Accounts and choose appropriate page for your My Account page